Lecture Notes of Courses & Workshops and Online Resources
Materials for LRZ Courses and Workshops
Note: the Course materials reflect the state of the systems and software at the time of the courses, which may have changed since then !
Introduction to HPC and Visualisation
The slides for this one-day event that provides a high-level introduction to the use of the HPC, Grid/Cloud, Storage and Visualisation facilities at LRZ as well as information about additional priced services for dedicated systems are provided in PDF format.
- Introduction and HPC system overview (Jamitzky)
- Access, Documentation and Service Desk (Karmakar)
- HPC System User Interfaces (material is outdated) (Bader)
- HPC System Programming Environment (Weinberg)
- Remote Visualisation and Virtual Reality (Anthes)
- File Systems and Tape Archiving (Peinkofer)
- Dedicated resources: Housing and Virtual Servers (Biardzki)
- Grid and Cloud Computing (Heller)
Annual Compact Course "Iterative Linear Solvers and Parallelisation"
The focus of this compact course organised by R. Rabenseifner from HLRS is on iterative and parallel solvers, the parallel programming models MPI and OpenMP, and the parallel middleware PETSc.
- An older version of this course with most of the material (including the audio information) can also be viewed in the ONLINE Parallel Programming Workshop.
Training on data analytics, big data and machine learning workflows at LRZ
In addition to supporting traditional HPC applications, the Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (LRZ) is offering systems and services to address the increasing demand of data analytics, big data and machine learning workflows. In a series of trainings, we provide introductory courses for researchers and students who want to utilize LRZ resources for tasks of this nature:
- Introduction to SSH (04/2020)
- Introduction to the LRZ HPC Infrastructure (04/2020)
- Introduction to GNU/Linux (10/2019)
- Introduction to SSH (10/2019)
- Introduction to the LRZ HPC Infrastructure (10/2019)
- Introduction to the LRZ Compute Cloud (10/2019)
- Using Python at LRZ (10/2019)
- Using R at LRZ (10/2019)
- Intel Artificial Intelligence Workshop:
Enhance Machine Learning Performance with Intel Software Tools (10/2019)
- Intel Artificial Intelligence Workshop:
Deep Learning at Scale using Distributed Frameworks (10/2019)
- Advanced HPC Cluster Usage with R at LRZ (10/2019)
- Machine Learning with R at LRZ (10/2019)
FPGA Programming Models
Introduction to Semantic Patching of C programs with Coccinelle
Workshop "Recent Advances in Parallel Programming Languages"
This workshop presents recent developments in the MPI, OpenMP, OpenACC and (concerning Co-Arrays) Fortran standards.
- The material of this workshop on 8.6.2015 at LRZ can be found here.
Materials for PRACE Courses and Workshops @ LRZ
As part of GCS LRZ is one of currently 10 PRACE Training Centres that started in 2012. The following workshops or course series are fully or partly organised as PRACE training events.
Annual Parallel Programming Courses
Annual workshop organised by LRZ and RRZE consisting of 2 parts:
- Parallel Programming of High Performance Systems (1 week)
- Advanced Topics in High Performance Computing, PRACE Course (4 days)
The material for both courses can be found on the RRZE Moodle.
Annual Fortran Programming Courses
2 different courses are offered by LRZ:
- Programming with Fortran, 1 week introduction to the language
- Advanced Fortran Topics, 1 week advanced course (object-oriented programming, design patterns, interoperability, and coarrays), partly a PRACE training event.
The lecture notes by R. Bader (LRZ) can be found under Fortran Workshops.
Intel MIC Programming Workshop (PRACE course)
This workshop concentrating on Intel MIC co/-processors took place at LRZ in June 2016 and 2017, and at IT4Innovations, Czech Republic in February 2016 and 2017. Part of the lectures were also given at the PRACE autumn school in Hagenberg.
The proceedings of the workshop at LRZ in June 2017 can be found here.
Intel MIC & GPU Computing Workshop (PRACE course)
This 3-days workshop on MIC and GPGPU programming took place at LRZ in 2014 and 2015.
- All talks and exercises can be found here.
Introduction to hybrid programming in HPC @ LRZ (PRACE course)
Talks and exercises of this course by R. Rabenseifner (HLRS) and G. Hager (RRZE) taken place in January,
- 2016 at LRZ can be found here.
- Slides from the course taken place at LRZ in January 2017 are available here.
Node-Level Performance Engineering (PRACE course)
- Slides of this annual course by G. Wellein and G. Hager (RRZE) can be found here .
HPC code optimisation workshop (PRACE course)
- Talks and exercises of this workshop taken place in May, 2017 at LRZ can be found here.
Workshop "Introduction to SuperMUC" (PRACE course)
PRACE Workshop “New Languages & Future Technology Prototypes”
During this PRACE workshop at LRZ in 2010 lots of parallel programming languages and approaches have been presented.
- The material can be found here.
PRACE Public Lectures
- Andrey Semin (Intel): Intel Xeon Scalable (Skylake) processor architecture, 20.3.2019 @ LRZ, Fyler, Slides, Audio, Video (not available yet).
- Michael Klemm (Intel): Taming Intel Xeon Processors with OpenMP, 18.7.2018 @ LRZ, Flyer, Slides
Further Online Resources
- PRACE Training Material: http://www.training.prace-ri.eu/material/index.html
G. Hager and G. Wellein: "Introduction to High Performance Computing for Scientists and Engineers" http://www.hpc.rrze.fau.de/HPC4SE
Designing and Building Parallel Programs. Online book by Ian Foster.