Job Opening: Development Project Coordinator, AI Program (f/m/d)
The Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) stands at the forefront of its field as a leadership-class IT service and computing user facility serving Munich’s top universities and colleges as well as research institutions in Bavaria, Germany, and Europe. As an institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, LRZ has provided a robust, holistic IT infrastructure for its users throughout the scientific community for nearly sixty years. It offers a complete range of resources, services, consulting, and support – from e-mail, web servers, and Internet access to virtual machines, cloud solutions, data storage, and the Munich ScientificNetwork (MWN).
Home to SuperMUC-NG, LRZ is part of Germany’s Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS) and serves as part of the nation’s backbone for the advanced research and discovery possible through high-performance computing (HPC). In addition to current systems, LRZ plays a leading role in future-facing initiatives focusing on the evaluation of emerging exascale-class architectures and technologies, development of highly scalable artificial intelligence and machine learning, and system integration of quantum acceleration with classical supercomputing.
We have an opening for:
Development Project Coordinator, AI Program (f/m/d)
The Bavarian Agency for Artificial Intelligence (AI Agency) is a new initiative stemming from the LRZ with the responsibility to implement the strategic objectives of the Bavarian AI Council. Composed of internationally renowned experts from business, academia, and non-university research organizations, the Bavarian AI Council advises the work of the Bavarian AI Agency on technical, domain issues and represents the network externally. The purpose of this overall effort is to build international awareness of AI technologies developed in Bavaria and to establish the state as an international hotspot and highly attractive location for academic and industrial workforce and for research and business investment.
For this purpose, the Bavarian AI Agency is being established as an agile team with a broad spectrum of efforts including building a tightly coupled Bavarian AI research network; developing and fostering a pipeline of talent and technology into the state; forging coalitions of research partners for large-scale, strategically important AI-centric projects; and setting them up for success. The AI Agency is initially composed of two primary teams for program marketing and program development with a core team for administration and management.
As the project coordinator / manager for the AI Development team, you are the master of tasks and the central point for a range of efforts ranging from the ideation phase to final execution. You keep the team moving forward smoothly and establish the workflow management culture and methods to do so. Not only is your attention to detail epic, but you keep your eye on the horizon and are thinking predictively to prep for what comes next. With your ability to work in a mixture of traditional and agile styles, you help bring our team consistently over the goal line. You will initially report to the Managing Director and later to the Head of AI Program Development as our team matures. This position will tightly interact and align with teams of the Agency, with the established AI and PR teams of LRZ, and with other business and management units of LRZ. This position is designed to be 30% process definition, 60% project management, and 10% technical in nature. In short, your experience, efforts, and passion will help form the future of Bavaria's advanced science and technology landscape through the use of AI.
- Assist management and business units in the definition of project scope and objectives
- Make recommendations for setting up the team's project management and workflow culture, establish and maintain the process
- Coordinate information and communication, including ensuring centralized documentation, between management and business units
- Serve as a point of contact for teams when multiple units are assigned to the same project to ensure team actions remain in synergy
- Track projects and provide updates/reports on a consistent basis for strategy alignment, adjustments, and progress
- Utilize industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout entire project execution
- Perform quality control on the project throughout development to maintain the standards expected
- Coach team members on project management best practices (ex. communication pathways, task/ticket hygiene)
- Spearhead special projects in addition to overarching coordination duties
- Assist in other duties as needed for the success of the team and mission
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate field of study or equivalent work experience
- Proven experience in project management and experience seeing projects and teams through the full project life cycle
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies (e.g., agile/scrum, waterfall)
- Solid ability to use technology needed for job (Microsoft suite, wikis, etc.)
- Excellent attention to detail and habit of catching your own errors
- Excellent analytical skills and proven ability to solve problems creatively
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills with special emphasis on centralized information and storage
- Exceptional comfort managing several moving parts simultaneously and working with often changing deadlines and competing priorities
- Good written and spoken English
- Friendly, collegial, and positive personality with a strong drive to roll up your sleeves, get involved and get things done
- Project management certification(s)
- Experience in the supercomputing fields (AI, HPC, quantum) and/or IT fields (cloud, IoT, etc)
- Experience using wiki and project management tools (Confluence, Jira, Trello, Airtable, etc)
- Experience setting up project management tools and establishing workflows (ex. Jira)
- Proficiency with the German language, or intent to gain proficiency
What you can expect from LRZ
- Ample room for contributing and implementing your own ideas
- A smart, motivated, fun, and tightly coupled team with an important mission in which to join and of which to be part
- An organization that greatly values your contribution to our common success
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and strongly encourage applications from women, men, and non-binary alike, regardless of social or cultural background.
This full-time position will initially be limited until December 31, 2022, and is to be staffed immediately. Possibility for employment after this date is expected depending on funding.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents (cover letter, CV, and certificates) with relevant examples of your writing in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 01.02.2021:
Subject: AI-DPM (2021/09)
If you have open questions regarding this position, our colleagues are happy to answer them.