Job Opening: Content Writer, Science and Technology (f/m/d)
The Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) stands at the forefront of its field as a leadership-class IT service and computing user facility serving Munich’s top universities and colleges as well as research institutions in Bavaria, Germany, and Europe. As an institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, LRZ has provided a robust, holistic IT infrastructure for its users throughout the scientific community for nearly sixty years. It offers a complete range of resources, services, consulting, and support – from e-mail, web servers, and Internet access to virtual machines, cloud solutions, data storage, and the Munich ScientificNetwork (MWN).
Home to SuperMUC-NG, LRZ is part of Germany’s Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS) and serves as part of the nation’s backbone for the advanced research and discovery possible through high-performance computing (HPC). In addition to current systems, LRZ plays a leading role in future-facing initiatives focusing on the evaluation of emerging exascale-class architectures and technologies, development of highly scalable artificial intelligence and machine learning, and system integration of quantum acceleration with classical supercomputing.
We have an opening for:
Content Writer, Science and Technology (f/m/d)
The Bavarian Agency for Artificial Intelligence (AI Agency) is a new initiative stemming from the LRZ with the responsibility to implement the strategic objectives of the Bavarian AI Council. Composed of internationally renowned experts from business, academia, and non-university research organizations, the Bavarian AI Council advises the work of the Bavarian AI Agency on technical, domain issues and represents the network externally. The purpose of this overall effort is to build international awareness of AI technologies developed in Bavaria and to establish the state as an international hotspot and highly attractive location for academic and industrial workforce and for research and business investment.
For this purpose, the Bavarian AI Agency is being established as an agile team with a broad spectrum of efforts including building a tightly coupled Bavarian AI research network; developing and fostering a pipeline of talent and technology into the state; forging coalitions of research partners for large-scale, strategically important AI-centric projects; and setting them up for success. The AI Agency is initially composed of two primary teams for program marketing and program development with a core team for administration and management.
As the content writer for this Bavarian AI initiative, you are the storyteller of our team. Through your articles, newsletters, use cases, web pages, white papers, posts, tweets, infographics and video scripts, you will inform and educate (and inspire!) audiences from the general public to decision-making stakeholders. You'll show how AI and the work of Bavaria's researchers are enhancing the lives of everyday Bavarian citizens. You'll highlight researchers and companies in the region to facilitate
networking and coalition-building locally and internationally. You'll showcase the capabilities of the
Bavarian AI ecosystem to attract companies, start-ups, international institutions, and funding agencies. You'll help draw in top-notch talent and technology to Bavaria. In short, your ideas, words and passion will help form the future of Bavaria's advanced science and technology landscape.
This position is part of the Agency's marketing team as well as the larger PR team of LRZ. You will also work with contracted marketing production agencies for special projects. Within LRZ, you will
interact with established AI and computing teams as well as other business and management units. This position is designed to be 80% content creation and 20% content management.
- Research, write and edit content types for specified target audiences
- Ensure key strategic messages are communicated for different audiences and business objectives, and guard against misaligned messages
- Conduct interviews with academic and industrial researchers, technical experts, government representatives, and management
- Ghostwrite for executives in highly visible media channels
- Fact-check carefully and generally oversee your work from initial idea to final approval
- Collaborate with internal teams to ensure your content complements and magnifies other ongoing initiatives
- Stay abreast of trends in corporate, executive, and marketing communications and make recommendations for improvements
- Represent both the AI Agency and LRZ professionally in external interactions
- Assist in other duties as needed for the success of the team and mission
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing communications, journalism or related degrees or experience
- Demonstrated professional experience in communications
- Demonstrated ability for making complex topics accessible to a broad audience
- Keen interest and basic understanding of technology such as artificial intelligence and big data, and their application to domain sciences
- Demonstrated ability to craft a topic for different audiences and to modify content for different platforms and formats
- Excellent written and spoken German and English skills (content will need to be in both languages)
- Solid ability to use technology needed for job (Microsoft suite, wikis, etc.)
- Comfort managing several moving parts simultaneously and working with often changing deadlines and competing priorities
- Resourceful, proven ability to solve problems creatively and autonomously
- Excellent attention to detail and habit of catching your own errors
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills with special emphasis on centralized information and storage
- Friendly, collegial, and positive personality with a strong drive to roll up your sleeves, get involved and get things done
- Experience writing for computing and supercomputing fields (AI, HPC, quantum) and/or IT fields (cloud, IoT, etc)
- Master's degree in communications, marketing communications, journalism or related degrees or experience
- Degree and/or certificates in natural or engineering sciences
What you can expect from LRZ
- Ample room for contributing and implementing your own ideas
- A smart, motivated, fun, and tightly coupled team with an important mission in which to join and of which to be part
- An organization that greatly values your contribution to our common success
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and strongly encourage applications from women, men, and non-binary alike, regardless of social or cultural background.
This full-time position will initially be limited until December 31, 2022, and is to be staffed immediately. Possibility for employment after this date is expected depending on funding.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents (cover letter, CV, and certificates) with relevant examples of your writing in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 01.02.2021:
Subject: KI-STW (2021/08)
If you have open questions regarding this position, our colleagues are happy to answer them.