Job Opening: Administrative and Project Assistant, Bavarian AI Council (f/m/d)
The Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) stands at the forefront of its field as a leadership-class IT service and computing user facility serving Munich’s top universities and colleges as well as research institutions in Bavaria, Germany, and Europe. As an institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, LRZ has provided a robust, holistic IT infrastructure for its users throughout the scientific community for nearly sixty years. It offers a complete range of resources, services, consulting, and support – from e-mail, web servers, and Internet access to virtual machines, cloud solutions, data storage, and the Munich ScientificNetwork (MWN).
Home to SuperMUC-NG, LRZ is part of Germany’s Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS) and serves as part of the nation’s backbone for the advanced research and discovery possible through high-performance computing (HPC). In addition to current systems, LRZ plays a leading role in future-facing initiatives focusing on the evaluation of emerging exascale-class architectures and technologies, development of highly scalable artificial intelligence and machine learning, and system integration of quantum acceleration with classical supercomputing.
We have two openings for persons to join our team as:
Administrative and Project Assistant, Bavarian AI Council (f/m/d)
The Bavarian Agency for Artificial Intelligence (AI Agency) is a new initiative stemming from the LRZ with the responsibility to implement the strategic objectives of the Bavarian AI Council. Composed of internationally renowned experts from business, academia, and non-university research organizations, the Bavarian AI Council advises the work of the Bavarian AI Agency on technical, domain issues and represents the network externally. The purpose of this overall effort is to build international awareness of AI technologies developed in Bavaria and to establish the state as an international hotspot and highly attractive location for academic and industrial workforce and for research and business investment.
For this purpose, the Bavarian AI Agency is being established as an agile team with a broad spectrum of efforts including building a tightly coupled Bavarian AI research network; developing and fostering a pipeline of talent and technology into the state; forging coalitions of research partners for large-scale, strategically important AI-centric projects; and setting them up for success. The AI Agency is initially composed of two primary teams for program marketing and program development with a core team for administration and management.
As an administrative and project assistant to the Bavarian AI board of directors, you will responsible for supporting its activities, ensuring smooth and successful execution. This includes 40% general administrative tasks, 40% project-related work, and 20% relationship management. As part of the Bavarian AI Agency, you will report to the Managing Director, be part of the core administrative team, and work closely with the other members of the Agency (project management, business management, development, and marketing). As part of LRZ, you will work with your colleagues in other units across the organization, specifically Central Administration and PR. In your coordination efforts, you will interact with government officials, corporate executives, and leading scientific researchers; professional and proper decorum is required as a representative of LRZ and the AI Council. This is a quick-paced, multi-faceted position dealing with often changing timelines and priorities. Agility and comfort with pivoting, exceptional attention to detail, thoroughness, and anticipation of needs are paramount to success.
- Support Bavarian AI Council chair, co-chairs, and members in all administrative and project tasks
- Coordinate communications with board, council, and managing director
- Standard project management tasks (process tasks and notes, edit and format reports and documents, track deadlines)
- Plan and prepare all facets of council and board meetings (agendas, presentations, notes, action item definition, and follow-up)
- Project manage or assist in special projects and community events (executing communications and tracking financials, deadlines and tasks)
- Maintain relation/contact database and document relevant interactions
- Observe best business practices and professional etiquette
- Assist in other duties as needed for the success of the team and mission
- Training/Education as an administrative specialist, or corresponding relevant professional experience
- Exceptional customer service and relation skills, professional decorum and tact dealing with high-ranking government representatives and executives
- Fluent in written and spoken German and English with a well-developed business correspondence style
- Experience keeping a large group regularly and accurately informed
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills with special emphasis on centralized information and storage
- Demonstrated project management skills; experience managing several moving parts simultaneously and working with often changing deadlines and competing priorities
- Resourceful, proven ability to solve problems creatively and autonomously
- Excellent attention to detail and habit of catching your own errors
- Solid ability to use technology needed for job (Microsoft suite, wikis, etc.)
- Friendly, collegial, and positive personality with a strong drive to roll up your sleeves, get involved and get things done
- Experience interacting with high-level government officials, corporate executives, and leading scientific researchers
- Experience successfully executing highly visible events with and for high-ranking stakeholders
What you can expect from LRZ
- Ample room for contributing and implementing your own ideas
- A smart, motivated, fun, and tightly coupled team with an important mission in which to join and of which to be part
- An organization that greatly values your contribution to our common success
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, EG9, TV-L). LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and strongly encourage applications from women, men, and non-binary alike, regardless of social or cultural background.
This is a full-time position limited until December 31, 2022 and is to be filled immediately.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents (including cover letter, CV, and certificates) in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 22.01.2021:
Subject: KI-REF (2021/07)
If you have open questions regarding this position, our colleagues are happy to answer them.