Job Opening: Access, Allocation and Account Manager, Quantum Computing (f/m/d)
The Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) stands at the forefront of its field as a leadership-class IT service and computing user facility serving Munich’s top universities and colleges as well as research institutions in Bavaria, Germany, and Europe. As an institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, LRZ has provided a robust, holistic IT infrastructure for its users throughout the scientific community for nearly sixty years. It offers a complete range of resources, services, consulting, and support – from e-mail, web servers, and Internet access to virtual machines, cloud solutions, data storage, and the Munich ScientificNetwork (MWN).
Home to SuperMUC-NG, LRZ is part of Germany’s Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS) and serves as part of the nation’s backbone for the advanced research and discovery possible through high-performance computing (HPC). In addition to current systems, LRZ plays a leading role in future-facing initiatives focusing on the evaluation of emerging exascale-class architectures and technologies, development of highly scalable artificial intelligence and machine learning, and system integration of quantum acceleration with classical supercomputing.
We have an opening for:
Access, Allocation and Account Manager, Quantum Computing (f/m/d)
The LRZ Quantum Computing Group is a new group of specialists at LRZ dedicated to providing, researching, and advancing quantum computing technologies for the Bavarian and international quantum communities. The QC team provides users with a broad portfolio of resources and services, including quantum simulators, remote access to quantum hardware, scientific consultancy, and education/training. More experimentally, this team explores and develops integration pathways for quantum acceleration capabilities in next-generation high-performance computing (HPC) systems. As a member of LRZ's Quantum Computing team, you will work at the very forefront of conceptualizing and providing new tools and methods; working with new innovative hardware technologies; evaluating and developing software stacks, programming models and abstraction layers; and building unique solutions to aid quantum computing end-users in the advancement of their research. Your work will be instrumental in shaping Bavaria's reputation as a global quantum hotspot and in pushing the boundaries of innovative scientific discoveries achievable with quantum computing.
- Manage all QC user accounts and access to the current and upcoming computing resources in the LRZ Quantum portfolio (cloud-based, on-premise, simulators), in coordination with the LRZ ID Management team and the external service providers
- Design access policy and process for the different quantum systems, definition of their user categories, in coordination with the whole LRZ QC team
- Manage the project peer review process, liaise for federal and European project review management for LRZ QC
- Consult users and research groups on any matters concerning system access (new users, accounting, reports, priority access to specific resources)
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in the natural or engineering sciences
- Basic IT/HPC knowledge and experience
- Experience working with databases (mainly MySQL)
- Good analytical thinking skills
- Strong customer service skills managing interactions with users and other stakeholders
- Ability to communicate results clearly and comprehensively in reports, diagrams, etc.
- Ability to work across the organization and/or at different levels of management
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Strong desire to contribute your education, experience, energy and enthusiasm to help build a dynamic and progressive quantum computing team and share in its success.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers
- Friendly, collegial, and positive personality with a strong drive to roll up your sleeves, get involved, and get things done.
- Basic experience with accessing quantum computing systems
- Proficiency with the German language, or intent to gain proficiency
What you can expect from LRZ
- Ample room for contributing and implementing your own ideas
- A smart, motivated, fun, and tightly coupled team with an important mission in which to join and of which to be part
- An organization that greatly values your contribution to our common success
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and strongly encourage applications from women, men, and non-binary alike, regardless of social or cultural background.
This full-time position will initially be limited to two years and is to be staffed immediately.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents (including cover letter, CV and
certificates) in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 25.01.2021:
Subject: QC-AAA (2021/06)
If you have open questions regarding this position, our colleagues are happy to answer them at the above e-mail address.
Click → Informationen über die Erhebung personenbezogener Daten for information regarding the EU General Data Protection Regulation and our application procedure.