Job Opening: Web Developer and Designer (f/m/d)
The Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) stands at the forefront of its field as a leadership-class IT service and computing user facility serving Munich’s top universities and colleges as well as research institutions in Bavaria, Germany, and Europe. As an institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, LRZ has provided a robust, holistic IT infrastructure for its users throughout the scientific community for nearly sixty years. It offers a complete range of resources, services, consulting, and support – from e-mail, web servers, and Internet access to virtual machines, cloud solutions, data storage, and the Munich ScientificNetwork (MWN).
Home to SuperMUC-NG, LRZ is part of Germany’s Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS) and serves as part of the nation’s backbone for the advanced research and discovery possible through high-performance computing (HPC). In addition to current systems, LRZ plays a leading role in future-facing initiatives focusing on the evaluation of emerging exascale-class architectures and technologies, development of highly scalable artificial intelligence and machine learning, and system integration of quantum acceleration with classical supercomputing.
We have an opening for:
Web Developer and Designer (f/m/d)
The Bavarian Agency for Artificial Intelligence (AI Agency) is a new initiative stemming from the LRZ with the responsibility to implement the strategic objectives of the Bavarian AI Council. Composed of internationally renowned experts from business, academia, and non-university research organizations, the Bavarian AI Council advises the work of the Bavarian AI Agency on technical, domain issues and represents the network externally. The purpose of this overall effort is to build international awareness of AI technologies developed in Bavaria and to establish the state as an international hotspot and highly attractive location for academic and industrial workforce and for research and business investment.
For this purpose, the Bavarian AI Agency is being established as an agile team with a broad spectrum of efforts including building a tightly coupled Bavarian AI research network; developing and fostering a pipeline of talent and technology into the state; forging coalitions of research partners for large-scale, strategically important AI-centric projects; and setting them up for success. The AI Agency is initially composed of two primary teams for program marketing and program development with a core team for administration and management.
- Set up websites fully, from backend web server architecture and workflow to front-end development and feature coding
- Develop, code or customize modules/extensions as needed
- Maintain, service, and further develop existing websites and extensions
- Perform all maintenance tasks (databases and websites) and immediately address security issues when they arise
- Implement W3C-compliance and ensure cross-browser compatibility
- Ensure responsive design for all designated devices
- Design for optimal SEO, monitor analytics, and recommend optimizations
- Ensure compliance with security procedures as well as data privacy and protection policies
- Build user interfaces based on photoshop mockups
- Ensure all development complies with corporate branding standards
- Manage privileged user accounts and couple websites to internal LDAP/IDM where needed
- Carefully and centrally document all configurations and needed information on the team wiki
- Practice clear, thorough, and detailed ticket hygiene
- Set up and maintain other web-based tools for team as needed (ex. Jira)
- Serve as technical contact person for internal projects
- Stay abreast of trends in corporate web presence and make recommendations for improvements
- Bachelor in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Experience with open source CMS systems – ex. WordPress, Typo3, Drupal, Joomla – including custom themes and coded modules/extensions
- Demonstrated knowledge of LAMP stack and experience setting up website infrastructures
- Demonstrated experience debugging code and troubleshooting complex issues
- Understanding of cross-browser issues and W3C standards
- Experience converting Photoshop files into fully functional web pages
- Experience consulting paying clients through the website build process, from vague concept through fully launched website
- Demonstrated understanding of usability best practices and patterns as well as the interplay of design and function
- Experience hardening websites for security and policy compliance
- Excellent attention to detail and thoroughness in work style
- Excellent analytical skills and proven ability to solve problems creatively
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills with special emphasis on centralized information and storage
- Exceptional comfort managing several moving parts simultaneously and working with often changing deadlines and competing priorities
- Good written and spoken English
- Friendly, collegial, and positive personality with a strong drive to roll up your sleeves, get involved, and get things done.
- You have already developed and launched corporate-level applications and/or websites with TYPO3
- Proficiency with the German language, or intent to gain proficiency
What you can expect from LRZ
- Ample room for contributing and implementing your own ideas
- A smart, motivated, fun, and tightly coupled team with an important mission in which to join and of which to be part
- An organization that greatly values your contribution to our common success
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and strongly encourage applications from women, men, and non-binary alike, regardless of social or cultural background.
This full-time position will initially be limited until Sept 30, 2021, and is to be staffed immediately.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents (including cover letter, CV, certificates, list of publications, and academic service record) in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 19.01.2021:
Subject: KI-MWB (2021/05)
If you have open questions regarding this position, our colleagues are happy to answer them.
Click → Informationen über die Erhebung personenbezogener Daten for information regarding the EU General Data Protection Regulation and our application procedure.