Job Opening: Development Project Manager, Programs (f/m/d)
The Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) stands at the forefront of its field as a leadership-class IT service and computing user facility serving Munich’s top universities and colleges as well as research institutions in Bavaria, Germany, and Europe. As an institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, LRZ has provided a robust, holistic IT infrastructure for its users throughout the scientific community for nearly sixty years. It offers a complete range of resources, services, consulting, and support – from e-mail, web servers, and Internet access to virtual machines, cloud solutions, data storage, and the Munich ScientificNetwork (MWN).
Home to SuperMUC-NG, LRZ is part of Germany’s Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS) and serves as part of the nation’s backbone for the advanced research and discovery possible through high-performance computing (HPC). In addition to current systems, LRZ plays a leading role in future-facing initiatives focusing on the evaluation of emerging exascale-class architectures and technologies, development of highly scalable artificial intelligence and machine learning, and system integration of quantum acceleration with classical supercomputing.
We have an opening for:
Development Project Manager, Programs (f/m/d)
In the role of Development Project Manager for Programs (DPM) you will assist in the coordination of many threads of activity around ongoing and upcoming program initiatives in Future Computing, Quantum Computing, AI, and other organizational efforts at LRZ. The spectrum of initiatives ranges from the ideation phase until short before operations handover and from the experimental, research realm to hardened user-facing processes. This is a quick-paced, multi-faceted position dealing with continuously changing timelines and priorities. Agility and comfort with pivoting, exceptional attention to detail, thoroughness, and anticipation of needs are paramount to success. As a DPM, the majority of your job is to keep the director of LRZ, the head of strategic development, and related business units in sync and aligned. Additionally, this role will interact with external companies, partners, and user communities; professional representation of LRZ is required. This position is designed to be 30% technical, 50% project management, and 20% partner/user relations in nature.
- Work with management and business units to create short and mid-term plans, including setting targets for milestones and monitoring delivery
- Coordinate information and communication, including ensuring centralized documentation, between management and Future Computing, Quantum Computing, AI, and other initiatives
- Spearhead special projects in addition to overarching coordination duties
- Assist in other duties as needed for the success of the team and mission
- Track projects and provide updates on a consistent basis for strategy alignment, adjustments, and progress
- Utilize industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout entire project execution
- Serve as a point of contact for teams when multiple units are assigned to the same project to ensure team actions remain in synergy
- Perform quality control on the project throughout development to maintain the standards expected
- Demonstrable experience in project management and experience seeing projects through the full life cycle
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills with special emphasis on centralized information approach and storage
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies (e.g., agile/scrum)
- Exceptional comfortable managing several moving parts simultaneously and working with often changing deadlines and competing priorities
- Resourceful, proven ability to solve problems creatively
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers
- Friendly, collegial, and positive personality with a strong drive to roll up your sleeves, get involved, and get things done.
- A Master's or higher degree in the natural or engineering sciences
- Experience in quantum computing and technologies, HPC and AI
- Experience using wiki and project management tools (Confluence, Jira, Trello, Airtable, etc)
- Experience setting up project management tools with workflows (ex. Jira)
- Project management certifications preferred, or interest to accomplish within the first year on the job
- Proficiency with the German language, or intent to gain proficiency
What you can expect from LRZ
- Ample room for contributing and implementing your own ideas
- A smart, motivated, fun, and tightly coupled team with an important mission in which to join and of which to be part
- An organization that greatly values your contribution to our common success
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and strongly encourage applications from women, men, and non-binary alike, regardless of social or cultural background.
This full-time position will initially be limited until October 31, 2023, and is to be staffed immediately.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents (including cover letter, CV, and certificates) in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 18.01.2021:
Subject: X-DPM (2021/03)
If you have open questions regarding this position, our colleagues are happy to answer them at the above e-mail address.
→ Informationen über die Erhebung personenbezogener Daten for information regarding the EU General Data Protection Regulation and our application procedure.