Job Opening: Future Computing Group Leader (f/m/d)
The Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) stands at the forefront of its field as a leadership-class IT service and computing user facility serving Munich’s top universities and colleges as well as research institutions in Bavaria, Germany, and Europe. As an institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, LRZ has provided a robust, holistic IT infrastructure for its users throughout the scientific community for nearly sixty years. It offers a complete range of resources, services, consulting, and support – from e-mail, web servers, and Internet access to virtual machines, cloud solutions, data storage, and the Munich ScientificNetwork (MWN).
Home to SuperMUC-NG, LRZ is part of Germany’s Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS) and serves as part of the nation’s backbone for the advanced research and discovery possible through high-performance computing (HPC). In addition to current systems, LRZ plays a leading role in future-facing initiatives focusing on the evaluation of emerging exascale-class architectures and technologies, development of highly scalable artificial intelligence and machine learning, and system integration of quantum acceleration with classical supercomputing.
We have an opening for:
Future Computing, Group Leader (f/m/d)
The LRZ Future Computing Group explores supercomputing technologies and supports LRZ management on decisions of future procurements for our supercomputing portfolio with deep bench expertise and knowledge of HPC and AI hardware, software, and workflows. This work extends from evaluations of current and commercial assets to future road-mapped technology with vendors via co-design relations and research activities. The FC team ensures and maintains an accurate benchmark suite reflecting current and predicted LRZ user demands, and provides recommendations for programming and usage models to ensure users get the best performance with acceptable effort. The BEAST (the Bavarian Energy, Architecture, and Software Testbed) Program is the vehicle to drive most of these efforts, with continuous additions of new systems and accelerator components added per year. As a member of the Future Computing team, you will work at the very forefront of new innovative hardware technologies and software stacks from various vendors–some not yet publicly available–and you will help shape the future of computing at LRZ.
Your Leadership Role
Your job is to grow and fortify an environment that fosters your team’s ability to succeed, both as individuals on their career path and in their collective mission to deliver the highest standard of support to our users in their pursuit of academic science excellence. As a leader, you:
- Encourage “thinking big” and holistic approaches towards solution building;
- Create an inclusive atmosphere where assorted opinions, ideas, personalities, and work styles are recognized and respected;
- Know your team very well, understand personal motivations and challenges, and invest in seeing each teammate meet their potential;
- Benchmark against the best and have high standards for yourself, your team and for the work we do.
- Exemplify commitment to LRZ’s core values and philosophy (for example, #WeAreLRZ) by modeling and actively promoting the center’s expectations for excellence in community engagement, customer service, operations, and capability research and development.
Management and Internal Alignment
- Work closely and regularly with management and other units across LRZ to ensure alignment of strategic and operational efforts
- Serve as immediate supervisor with line management responsibilities and have high visibility in the workplace
- Actively champion your team’s ability to execute their responsibilities with improvement suggestions to management for internal processes and policies
- Prepare proposals for funding agencies, LRZ management, and other stakeholders
- Stay abreast of new technology development with active vendor engagement and ecosystem review
- Ensure BEAST has state-of-the-art, relevant technologies with recommendations for acquisition and leading hardware procurement process
- Design evaluation experiments for BEAST, coordinate related research projects, push for publishing of results (where allowed), and report findings regularly to co-design and procurement-related teams
- Working closely with CXS, AI, and HPC teams, ensure and maintain an accurate portfolio of benchmarks (the LRZ benchmark suite) representing current and future users’ needs for BEAST evaluation
- Foster, form, and coordinate new collaborations and joint projects with Bavarian compute centers, educational institutions, and select users
- Build and maintain successful relations with our vendor collaborators, project partners, potential users, and current users through strengthened relations and feedback channels
- Coordinate and teach courses, tutorials, and other education/training activities in collaboration with university and college educators
- Ensure the FC team's quality of work and representation in the relevant scientific and technical communities
- Represent LRZ on local, national, and international scientific committees and at conferences on relevant topics
- Communicate research project results, interesting capability developments, and other newsworthy items proactively to LRZ public relations team for reputation building of our organization
- Ensure the protection of vendor and partner proprietary or sensitive information, complying with information security policies and agreements (e.g. NDAs)
- Guide FC assets and initiatives through LRZ's policy and process compliance workflows (I/SMS, IDM, etc)
- Ensure all work is carried out safely, securely, and in compliance with LRZ policies, standards, and procedures
- A Ph.D. in the engineering sciences
- Extensive experience with high-performance computing (HPC) computer architecture, system software, and programming models
- Experience working with pre-production technology and vendors in a co-design relationship
- Experience with HPC system software stacks, abstraction layers, and tools
- Understanding of HPC and AI technology ecosystem and companies, and experience in tech scouting
- Experience engaging user communities and gaining feedback through concerted efforts (surveys, interviews, focus groups, events)
- Previous experience in forming, leading, and managing research projects and teams
- Proven track record of scientific publications
- Proven track record teaching courses/tutorials and/or mentoring students and student projects
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to communicate results clearly and comprehensively in reports, diagrams, etc.
- Ability to work across the organization and at different levels of management
- Ability to interact and represent LRZ towards users, vendors, and other HPC centers
- Strong desire to contribute your education, experience, energy, and enthusiasm to help build a dynamic and progressive team and share in its success.
- Proficiency with the German language, or intent to gain proficiency
- Proven track record of academic service
What you can expect from LRZ
- Ample room for contributing and implementing your own ideas
- A smart, highly educated, and motivated team to lead and an opportunity to facilitate their development and success
- An organization that greatly values your contribution to our common success
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative, and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and strongly encourage applications from women, men, and non-binary alike, regardless of social or cultural background.
This full-time position is to be staffed immediately.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents (including cover letter, CV, and certificates) in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 18.01.2021:
Subject: FC-GL (2021/01)
If you have open questions regarding this position, our colleagues are happy to answer them at the above e-mail address.
→ Informationen über die Erhebung personenbezogener Daten for information regarding the EU General Data Protection Regulation and our application procedure.