Job Opening: Head (f/m/d) of Computational X Support (CXS)
The Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) stands at the forefront of its field as a leadership-class IT service and computing user facility serving Munich’s top universities and colleges as well as research institutions in Bavaria, Germany and Europe. As an institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, LRZ has provided a robust, holistic IT infrastructure for its users throughout the scientific community for nearly sixty years. It offers the complete range of resources, services, consulting and support – from e-mail, web servers and Internet access to virtual machines, cloud solutions, data storage and the Munich Scientific Network (MWN).
Home to SuperMUC-NG, LRZ is part of Germany’s Gauss Centre for Supercomputing (GCS) and serves as part of the nation’s backbone for the advanced research and discovery possible through high-performance computing (HPC). In addition to current systems, LRZ plays a leading role in future-facing initiatives focusing on the evaluation of emerging exascale-class architectures and technologies, development of highly scalable artificial intelligence and machine learning, and system integration of quantum acceleration with classical supercomputing.
We have an opening for:
Head (f/m/d) of Computational X Support (CXS)
You will be part of LRZ's senior management and lead a diverse, talented team of scientific domain and computer science experts who function as the bridge between our computing environment and our user communities of local to international academic researchers, educators, and students. This team represents a broad set of experience and foci, including the computational science areas of traditional HPC numerical simulations, data analytics and machine learning, system and application development, education and training, research science engineering and software development, and quantum computing. Our team also possesses broad domain expertise, including astrophysics, biology, bioinformatics, geophysics, engineering, and social sciences. Collectively, its work spans from supporting our users with LRZ system and software environments, assisting in code porting and performance optimization, tracking incidents, developing system capabilities (for example, containerization and workflows) to participating in large third-party funded research projects and evaluating architectures and software for future systems.
Your Leadership Role
Your job is to grow and fortify an environment that fosters your team’s ability to succeed, both as individuals on their career path and in their collective mission to deliver the highest standard of support to our users in their pursuit of academic science excellence. As a leader, you:
- Encourage “thinking big” and holistic approaches towards solution building;
- Create an inclusive atmosphere where assorted opinions, ideas, personalities and work styles are recognized and respected;
- Know your team very well, understand personal motivations and challenges, and invest in seeing each teammate meet their potential;
- Benchmark against the best and have high standards for yourself, your team and for the work we do.
- Exemplify commitment to LRZ’s core values and philosophy (for example, #WeAreLRZ) by modelling and actively promoting the centre’s expectations for excellence in community engagement, customer service, operations and capability research and development.
- Serve as immediate supervisor with line management responsibilities and be highly visible in the
- Mentor and evaluate team and individual progress regularly, providing feedback and addressing performance issues in a timely manner;
- Maintain the overview of users’ needs for resources and services, both current and predictive;
- Work to strengthen relations and feedback channels with user communities and steering boards;
- Stay abreast of new technology development and ensure an accurate suite of benchmarks representing users’ needs for procurement processes;
- Ensure coordination of user operation on various systems, including GCS user support concept for HPC systems as well as testbed and quantum systems;
- Actively champion both voice-of-the-customer and your team’s ability to execute their responsibilities with improvement suggestions to management for internal processes and policies;
- Work closely and collaboratively with other units across LRZ and with management to ensure alignment of your team’s effort to strategic and operational roadmaps;
- Communicate research project results, interesting capability developments and other newsworthy items proactively to LRZ public relations team for reputation building of our organization;
- Ensure the protection of vendor and partner proprietary or sensitive information, complying with
information security policies and agreements (e.g. NDAs);
- Ensure all work is carried out safely, securely, and in compliance with LRZ policies, standards, and
- Experience at an HPC user facility and with applied R&D teams
- Experience leading a team with diverse personalities, backgrounds, and expertise
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- A Ph.D. in the natural or engineering sciences, including computer science or mathematics
- Proficiency with the German language, or intent to gain proficiency
- Experience with agile methodologies
What you can expect from LRZ:
- Ample room for contributing and implementing your own ideas
- A smart, highly educated and motivated team to lead and an opportunity to facilitate their development and success
- An organization that greatly values your contribution to our common success
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and strongly encourage applications from women, men and non-binary alike, regardless of social or cultural background.
This full-time position will initially be limited to two years with the intent to become a permanent position thereafter, and is to be staffed immediately.
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents (including cover letter, CV and certificates) in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 27.11.2020:
Subject: Head of Computational X Support (CXS) (2020/33)
If you have open questions regarding this position, our colleagues are happy to answer them.
→ Informations regarding the EU General Data Protection Regulation and our application procedure. (German)