Job Opening: Large-Scale I/O and Data Expert
Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities is the IT Service Provider for all Munich universities as well as a growing number of research organisations throughout Bavaria. In addition to this regional focus, LRZ also plays an important role as a member of GCS (Gauss Centre for Supercomputing), delivering top-tier HPC services on the national and European level. We support groundbreaking research and education throughout a wide range of scientific disciplines by offering highly available, secure and energy-efficient services based on cutting-edge IT technology.
We are currently looking for a
Large-Scale I/O and Data Expert
Role and Responsibilities:
- Evaluation and assessment of monitored I/O-patterns; diagnosing bottlenecks in the HPC infrastructure
- Development of quality of service policies and capacity Management in collaboration with the storage and networking groups
- Development of strategies for optimizing application-specific I/O tunings in collaboration with the application group
- Evaluation of new technologies, especially deployment of I/O strategies in “Big Data” scenarios
- PhD or university (post) graduate degree, diploma, master’s degree or equivalent in a scientifically oriented subject (preferred are computational science or physics/mathematics)
- Good knowledge of principles and practices of I/O, both serial and parallel
- Ability to lead scientific and technical efforts in HPC
- Good knowledge of systems programming (especially C/C++)
- Basic knowledge of Fortran and MPI (message passing interface)
- Good knowledge and experience with scripting languages
- Initiative, capacity for teamwork, and creativity
- Good oral presentation and writing skills in German and/or English
- Principles of Database usage
- Experience with serial and parallel abstraction libraries (e.g., HDF5, NetCDF), knowledge of I/O design for abstraction libraries
- Knowledge about Quality of Service methodologies
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway. If you are interested and a topic matching your work theme can be identified, a subsequent doctoral graduation is possible.
Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourage applications from women and men alike, regardless of their social or cultural background.
This full-time position will initially be limited to 2 years and is to be staffed immediately.
You can count on us! Can we count on you?
We are looking forward to receiving your complete application documents (including cover letter, CV and certificates) in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 30.09.2019:
Subject: I/O expert (2019/30)
If you have open questions, Dr. R. Bader (group leader HPC systems and services) is happy to answer them. E-Mail: Bader_at_lrz.de, Phone: 089/35831-8825.
→ Informations regarding the EU General Data Protection Regulation and our application procedure. (German)