Job Offer: Parallel Programming Environments and Libraries
Leibniz Supercomputing Centre (Leibniz-Rechenzentrum, LRZ) of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities is the IT Service Provider for all Munich universities as well as a growing number of research organisations throughout Bavaria. In addition to this regional focus, LRZ also plays an important role as a member of GCS (Gauss Centre for Supercomputing), delivering top-tier HPC services on the national and European level. We support ground-breaking research and education throughout a wide range of scientific disciplines by offering highly available, secure and energy-efficient services based on cutting-edge IT technology.
We are currently looking for an
Expert for Parallel Programming Environments and Libraries
Role and Responsibilities:
- Installation, correctness testing and performance verification of communication and message passing libraries (MPI, GPI, Global Arrays, OpenShmem, OpenCoarrays etc.) on HPC systems
- Establishing tools, workflows and a test suite for analysing, isolating and classifying performance and correctness issues in the communication/transport layers of abovementioned libraries
- Perform research in the area of programming model innovations (e.g., fault tolerance)
- Develop containerized solutions for scientific and application driven workloads.
- Processing and tracking of identified software bugs
- Assure the proper integration of the communication libraries with the scheduling systems
- Assure parallel environment service quality (especially after system maintenance measures)
- Maintain and extend the user documentation for setting up optimally performing application runs
- Candidate should have in-depth knowledge of at least one HPC language (C, C++, Fortran) and baseline knowledge of all of them.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux and the development environment used there (compilers, scripting languages, make, autoconf etc.) is required
- General knowledge of parallel programming is required; in-depth knowledge about the message-passing interface (MPI) would be ideal.
- Knowledge about tools typically used for performance and correctness checking would be good.
We offer a multifaceted and intellectually stimulating position with flexible working hours and a family-friendly atmosphere in one of the largest and most innovative scientific data centres in Europe. You will work in a dynamic, collaborative and innovative environment characterised by an excellent working atmosphere and creative leeway. If you are interested and a topic matching your work theme can be identified, a subsequent doctoral graduation is possible. Salary and benefits are compensated according to the collective employment agreement of the German Federal States (Tarifvertrag der Länder, TV-L). Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. LRZ operates flexible work schemes. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. As an Institute of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences, we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourage applications from women as well as persons with a migration background. This full-time position will initially be limited to 2 years and is to be staffed immediately.
You can count on us! Can we count on you?
We are looking forward to receiving your complete application documents (including cover letter, CV and certificates) in a single PDF file via e-mail by latest 30.01.2018:
Subject: Parallel Programming (2018/01)
If you have open questions, Dr. R. Bader (group leader HPC systems and services) is happy to answer them: E-Mail: Bader@lrz.de, Phone: 089/35831-8825).