eduroam (DFN Roaming)
Internet access for travelling scientists
The integration of the Munich Scientific Network (MWN) into the international RADIUS group of research networks (in Germany: DFN roaming) enables scientists and students of member institutes to connect to the Internet via WLAN. They only require access authorization to their home institute; the connection configuration of the home institute can generally be used without having to make any changes.
The aim of the project is to establish a pan-European roaming infrastructure under the label eduroam (see www.eduroam.org) based on the protocol 802.1X (Wikipedia entry for 802.1X). Members of the MWN who travel to an eduroam institution in other European countries can register via 802.1X and connect to the Internet. The SSID (network name) is usually eduroam.
Where can I use eduroam?
Access is available at locations that are part of the eduroam network. Both the user’s home institute and the visited institute must be part of this network. Links and overviews are available under the following links:
What do I need for eduroam?
- The computer has to be WLAN-compatible
- The WPA supplicant, namely the software that establishes the connection, must be installed and configured
- The eduroam SSID must be available at the location.
How do I register?
To use eduroam at institutes other than the home institute, the RADIUS username is required. This is, for example,
Outside the MWN, only usernames that end in tum.de, lmu.de and mwn.de can be used.
When the connection has been established, you are automatically assigned an IP address in the MWN from the 138.246.x.x network. There is a dedicated DNS name in the domain dynamic.eduroam.mwn.de.
- eduroam under Windows
- eduroam under Linux (Ubuntu)
- eduroam under Linux (wpa supplicant) (German only)
- eduroam under Windows Mobile
- eduroam/802.1X with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (German only)
- eduroam/802.1X with Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7 (Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion)
- eduroam/802.1X with iPad/iPhone
- eduroam with Symbian S60v5 (German only)
- eduroam with Blackberry
- eduroam with Android
- eduroam with Bada
- eduroam with Windows Phone 7
- DFN roaming homepage of the DFN
- eduroam project page