Submitting or modifying a proposal for SuperMUC.
For obtaining access to
- the SuperMIG/SuperMUC at the Leibniz-Rechenzentrum München (LRZ), please select the button send a new proposal below and fill in the proposal form on the following page. If you have problems, please contact the administrators +49-89-35831-8773, or -8825.
- the IBM-Computer at the Rechenzentrum Garching (RZG) of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft within the exchange agreement for computing time between LRZ and RZG. Please also read these instructions.
Hints on submitting and changing data of a project
(i) Classification of projects
Please have a look at the System Description of SuperMUC first, and verify that you really need a machine of this size for your project. On SuperMUC approx. 1000 million core-hours per year are vailable for all projects. To get a feeling for the orders of magnitude for your project, please consider the tables below.
|Large Scale Project||
> 35 million core-h/year.
Large Scale Projects are handled in the context of the Gauss Centre for Supercomputing. LRZ tries to achieve that large-scale projects can fully utilise the assigned resources, if necessary, at the expense of smaller projects.
A Call for Large-Scale Projects is published by the Gauss Centre twice a year. The call is open for projects on SuperMUC.
|Big project||up to 35 million core-h/year|
|Medium project||up to 10 million core-h/year|
|Small project||up to 3 million core-h/year|
|Test account||< 50,000 core-h|
|Pseudo-Temporary Disk Space:
An overall disk space for pseudo-temporary (scratch) files of 600 TByte is available. Total disk space on SuperMUC will be much bigger: up to 10 Petabyte for SCRATCH and WORK
|High request||~ 40 TByte for SuperMIG / ~ 250 TByte for SuperMUC|
|Medium request||~ 5 TByte for SuperMIG / ~ 40 TByte for SuperMUC|
|Default||~ 3 TByte for SuperMIG / ~ 10 TBybte for SUperMUC|
|Permanent Disk Space for HOME:
this disk space is expensive but safe, because of snapshots and tape backup.
Use the $SCRATCH or $WORK if you need more than available in $HOME
|Default||100 GByte for the entire project|
(ii) Test accounts
If you only apply for a test account, you do not need to upload a detailed proposal. However, if you plan to convert it to a small, medium, or a big project, please take into consideration that a review may take about 2 months.
(iii)Proposal for a new projectFor projects, which need more resource than a test project, you need to send us the a detailed prosal which is reviewed by the Steering Committee. Reviews usually take about 2 months.
It is strongly recommended to follow in your proposal the structure and hints given in following templates:
For sending your detailed initial project proposal, please use the upload form:
(iv) Modifying an existing project
If you want to add/modify information for an existing project, log in with your Project Manager/MasterUser Account for the project you want to change. The crucial data of a project proposal are:
- the resources for the entire project (esp. CPU hours, home, and scratch disk space),
- the duration of the entire project.
If you want to increment one of these numbers, you have to submit a status report (see section below). The LRZ will then initiate a new reviewing process by the steering committee.
All other changes, like additional researchers and IP addresses, are of administrative nature only and will normally be updated within two working days.
(v) Uploading regular status reports, papers resulting from your work or contributions to our workshops
- Click here to get the regulations and hints on status reports.
- Click here for the status report template.
- and click here for the upload form: https://www.lrz.de/services/compute/supermuc/upload-report/